Sunday, July 8, 2012

Mushroom and Swiss Chard Frittata


Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. Because I spent so many years skipping breakfast to make it to work by 5:30 a.m., I can now fully appreciate taking my time for a good, hearty meal to start the day and with Swiss chard in my farm crate I knew I would be making a frittata this week.


Mushroom and Swiss Chard Frittata
serves two

1 tbsp olive oil 
1/2 small yellow onion, sliced thin
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 bunch swiss chard, chopped
4-5 large cremini mushrooms

4-5 ounces extra firm tofu
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup vegan mozzarella cheese, shredded (I use Daiya)
2 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp tumeric
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly oil a small baking dish or loaf pan.

In a small bowl crumble the tofu until it is the texture of ricotta cheese. Add nutritional yeast, vegan cheese, mustard, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Mix until well combined. Set aside.

Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent . Add garlic and cook for another minute. Add mushrooms and chard and saute for five minutes.

Mix vegetables into tofu mixture until uniformly combined. Firmly pack frittata mixture into baking dish smoothing over the top.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, until frittata starts to brown on top. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes. Once cooled turn baking dish upside down to release frittata.
 Enjoy!

What's your favorite breakfast dish? Are you a sweet or savory morning eater?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis