Thursday, May 17, 2012

Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies

Yesterday I promised to veganize a classic recipe we all know. Well what is more classic than Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies? Most of us know how the should taste, right?

So I went to the store and hid in an aisle while taking a picture of this recipe with my phone. Then I came home and put my veganizing skills to the test.
My discreet efforts to take the picture in a grocery store
My choice of egg replacer was chickpea flour. Unlike bananas, apple sauce, or flax seeds, chickpea flour is virtually tasteless. Additionally it's much lighter so it won't compromise the cookie's ability to rise. (There certainly are recipes where these other choices are preferable, but we can get into that later.) However chickpea flour does not work as a leavener itself and therefore I also added 1/2 teaspoon baking powder for each egg I was replacing (1 teaspoon total).
 
Eggs are about a 1/4 cup liquid  each so I needed 1/2 cup of the chickpea flour/water mixture (1:1 ratio). This measures out to be 3 Tablespoons of chickpea flour and water (each) per egg.

okay, to the recipe....

Nestle Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Cookie - Veganized
 2 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup non-hydrogenated margarine, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp chickpea flour
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp water
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
Blend together the chickpea flour and water in a food processor or blender until thick and creamy. Set aside.
Combine flour, salt, baking soda, and powder.
In a separate bowl cream together margarine and sugars until light and fluffy. While blending, slowly add the chickpea mixture until fully incorporated. Add the dry ingredients and blend together. Be careful not to over-mix.
Add chocolate chips and nuts (I used pecans) and fold in by hand.

Drop heaping tablespoons onto cookie sheet. It works best if the sheet is covered by wax paper or a silpat. If you have neither, lightly oil the pan and your cookies will be just fine.
Cook for 9-11 minutes, until golden around the edges.

Pull the out and allow them to cool.
Let's do a visual comparison...

My non-vegan tasters (my husband and my dog) were extremely found of these. I believe I heard my husband call them "the best cookies I have ever had" while my dog just begged her praises.

These cookies were just how I remembered them. A little crisp on the outside with a soft, gooey, buttery inside. I would have to say, success.

*Chickpea flour, in it's raw form, has a fairly strong, fairly bad taste.When baked, you won't notice it at all, I promise. However if you are a cookie dough snacker I would suggest switching out the flour for ground flax seeds or commercial egg replacer.

*If you have any questions regarding specific recipes or any suggestions of foods I should try here on my blog, leave a comment. Together we will veganize!

12 comments:

  1. We just had some of these. I love them. I might try using flax down the road to see how they compare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked them! The flax would certainly allow you to enjoy the raw cookie dough more.

      Delete
  2. Where to you buy chickpea flour?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should be able to get it at any well stocked grocery store in the baking or bulk aisle. I buy Bob's Red Mill brand which is available at large grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious! I would not have thought to use chickpea flour -- what a great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm drooling! I must make these, like right now! You're so clever to use chickpea flour. The cookies look so beautiful and satisfying. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very concerned for your dog. Chocolate is toxic for canines. Also high fat foods can cause pancreatitis in dogs, very serious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No worries, I was only joking. She made have found a crumb on the ground and begged for more,, but she was not eating my cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I AM JUST WONDERING WHY YOU USE MARGERINE??? SO UN HEALTHY.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whenever I use margarine I use non-hydrogenated, which is much better. But usually I try and replace butter with healthier fats. In this recipe my goal was to veganize the classic chocolate chip cookie without changing the flavor and non-hydrogenated margarine was the best option.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to know about the chickpea flour/baking powder combo! I keep making flat and chewy cookies with flax eggs and wondering what to use for leavening. The ratios and combinations of vegan substitutes always mystifies me.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis